Memories

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Recollections of the past week

It seemed just yesterday that I reached home after a long journey traversing South India. And yet it is time to leave. The days spent at home are the days best spent, I have realized. Nothing to do, nothing to worry about. Just observing the world around me going at its usual pace. And finding faults in the society!!!
That's what I have been doing for the last eight days.
Jyoti Basu is finally at his deathbed. But the bloody old man doesn't show any signs of dying. He has been in hospital since the day I landed in Kolkata. The amount of money being spent in his treatment, all of which is coming from government coffers; is enough to feed a whole school for one whole month!!!
How much longer do they expect him to live??? He is 95, man. Some great musician had once said, " It is better to die out than to fade away". Heed his words. Have mercy on the people, you fellow Communists!! Hope your man dies soon.
On the other hand, Mamata Banerjee has turned out out to be atrue politician in all her colours. She is doing what every minister has done for decades. Development of one state must not come at the expense of the obstruction of development of another. What was the use of establishing that Railway Hospital in Kolkata? Why wan't it set up at a place where people needed it more? Say Patna or Mughal Sarai, for example. And why isn't a replacement train not being provided for trains arriving in other places? Why only in Kolkata? Just to prove that you are working much more efficiently than the predecessor in your portfolio. But hadn't Lalu done the same? Oh, you politicians will never change. The day you start looking at your people as Indians, and not as Bengalis or Biharis, will be the day when India will show the world the potential it has to progress.
I think I am going to far now. I must stop now or I'll find the party workers baying for my blood[:)].I apologize if I have hurt anyone's sentiments. But good criticism has always had its benefits, we must remember!
Signing off till next time. I'll be back with more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home